Is it in your DNA to make the world a little better, healthier and smarter every day? Do you enjoy seeing the result of your work reflected in various products like medical devices, worlds most advanced radio telescopes, flight simulators, a domestic monitoring system, autonomous vehicles or a high bandwidth solution for photonic encryption? Are you passionate about creating advanced and highly innovative solutions and using the latest AMD FPGA technologies? Join us at TOPIC!
“What I like about working for TOPIC Projects/Products is the variety of projects and their domains. Due to TOPIC's premier partnership with AMD, I have been able to make great steps in my career using the latest FPGA/SoC technologies, starting with the Zynq 7000 series to the Zynq Ultrascales and now to the Versal (ACAP) devices.”
Niek van Agt | Senior FPGA Designer at TOPIC
Your job as Firmware Engineer
As a Firmware Engineer at TOPIC you will be part of a team of experts in Hardware, FPGA and Embedded Software engineering responsible for the development of high-quality systems. Projects we carry out are diverse and often involve image/video processing, implementation of (deep learning) algorithms, multi-threading, microcontroller programming, real-time development, BSP (board support package) development, ROS and/or wireless communication.
In the embedded systems that we develop, memory management and performance optimization are essential. In our tech stack we use tools such as VHDL, Vivado, HLS, QuestaSim, Petalinux, UVM, Yocto and GIT. TOPIC is one of the few selected companies worldwide to have a Premier Adaptive Computing Partnership with AMD, allowing us to adopt and apply new AMD FPGA technologies in an early stage.
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Design, implementation and verification of subsystems, modules and components;
- Create complex HDL designs and work with large FPGA's like Zynq Ultrascale+ and Virtex Ultrascale+;
- Determine how data and algorithms are processed and mapped on the FPGA hardware;
- Ensure that timing and resource constraints are met;
- Work on pin placement together with hardware engineers;
- Create modules and subcomponents with VHDL and HLS and simulate to ensure your design is working as to be expected;
- Write high quality and structured embedded software;
- Sparring partner for peers and stakeholders in- and outside of the team;
- Participate in meetings (standup, sprint planning, retrospective, design/architectural sessions) and sharing your thoughts and ideas;
- Code review and coaching of (junior) engineers.
As a Firmware Engineer at TOPIC
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Embedded Systems or Computer Science;
- You have at least 5+ years of experience in complex FPGA design and VHDL development on Xilinx and/or Altera FPGA. You are familiar with Vivado and HLS and simulation tools such as ModelSim or Questa and have solid experience with firmware testing and integration;
- You have proven expertise on embedded software/firmware development in C and/or C++. Knowledge of Python, Rust and Matlab is a bonus;
- You have an excellent command of English (both oral and written); knowledge of the Dutch language would be a big plus.
TOPIC is committed to make the world a little better healthier and smarter every day. Not only for our customers but also for the members of our TOPIC family for whom passion for technical innovation is key!
This will make you smarter:
- challenging and interesting projects in different domains;
- benefit from the expertise of your technical buddy and more than 100 smart colleagues;
- focus on guiding and coaching on personal development to achieve your ambitions;
- annual study budget and customized training program within our TOPIC Academy;
- tech events and knowledge sessions.
This will make you better:
- contract for indefinite period of time;
- an all-in employee benefit package (€50.000 – €64.000 annually): incl. competitive gross salary, net cost allowance, mobility package, 13th month payment, holiday allowance;
- good secondary employment conditions: i.a. 26 vacation days (opportunity to buy extra days), pension scheme and relocation budget.
This will keep you healthy:
- a good work-life balance, flexible working hours and hybrid way of working;
- an inspiring office environment with daily fresh fruit and a gym;
- the home office support package will turn your “home office” into an inspiring environment;
- lots of fun during events like celebrations, sport activities and the weekly Friday afternoon drinks.
Since 1996 we have been developing (embedded) systems that are essential for products manufactured by renowned high-tech companies around the world. Our projects involve edge to cloud solutions; from PCB design and FPGA to low level embedded software and application software for UI, Web, Mobile and cloud. We are well known for our high level of knowledge and expertise and are proud to be a Premier Adaptive Computing Partner of AMD; technology leader in the field of System-on-Chips and FPGAs.